Better Place Australia offers a workplace culture reflective of a vibrant, learning organisation where our people are highly engaged in their work and committed to making a difference. We provide attractive remuneration, flexible working arrangements and generous conditions of employment.
Please note that it is a requirement of employment for Better Place Australia staff to pass a Working With Children check and a National Police Check.
Location: Cheltenham and other locations
- Dynamic not for profit organisation
- Full time or Part-time opportunity
- Various locations
Better Place Australia has a vision of “An Australia where all people experience positive relationships, truly value each and live safer, more confident lives”. As a community focused not-for-profit organisation with an ever-growing range of psychological and community support services, Better Place Australia is taking a leadership role in the provision of high-quality, effective services for a wide range of community groups across 25 locations in Victoria.
This is an opportunity to join our expanding team of highly experienced and passionate people who want to make Australia a better place.
Financial Counsellors support clients to resolve or alleviate financial stress and to improve their ongoing financial capability and inclusion. This role involves telephone-based service delivery via the National Debt Helpline – including supporting bushfire affected areas and vulnerable clients in the current COVID-19 climate. This role may incorporate some face to face client work (currently via our technology platforms (ie: Zoom). Key work tasks will include:
- Assessing a client’s financial situation to understand the extent of a person’s financial difficulties and to identify options to address these;
- Conduct interviews with clients over the phone (and where required, face to face via technology) to deliver triage services;
- Book face to face appointments for clients and refer to other services including other Financial Counselling services where appropriate;
- Advising clients on how to access a range of entitlements and resources to improve their ability to manage their financial affairs.
Required Professional Qualifications & Experience
Prospective candidates must possess a Diploma of Community Services (Financial Counselling), have experience in assisting clients in financial crisis and hardship and be eligible for membership of the Financial and Consumer Rights Council.
Other essential criteria include the ability to think creatively and develop innovative solutions to issues as they arise, excellent communication skills, well developed interpersonal skills and the ability to rapidly build rapport with clients.
Demonstrated experience in a telephone-based service delivery role (or similar) would be a distinct advantage.
Better Place Australia is serious about being an employer of choice and to back that claim we offer:
- Generous above award salary rates
- Salary packaging (which increases your take-home pay)
- Additional paid annual leave (between Christmas and New Year)
- Annual leave loading of 17.5%
- An 11% superannuation contribution
- 12 weeks paid parental leave
- Up to 20 days family violence leave
- Paid study leave and extensive professional development opportunities
Better Place Australia offers a workplace culture reflective of a vibrant, learning organisation where our people are highly engaged in their work and committed to making a difference. As an equal opportunity employer, we aim to create an inclusive environment where differences including gender, age, culture, disability, sexual orientation and family and caring responsibilities are valued. We invite you to be part of a not for profit organisation that fosters a diverse workplace.
This position may be based at our Head Office (in Cheltenham) or other Better Place Australia office locations throughout Melbourne and Gippsland.
Better Place Australia is open to the consideration of work from home arrangements for the performance of part of this role. Prospective candidates who meet the above-mentioned criteria and who are interested in working part-time are also encouraged to apply.
For further information, please contact Verity Best – Regional Service Manager on 9556 5333.
Whilst we appreciate the interest of all prospective candidates, please note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Our organisation is committed to child safety and satisfactory completion of a Working with Children Check and National Police Check are mandatory for the preferred candidate