Better Place Australia has a vision of “An Australia where all people experience positive relationships, truly value each other and live safer, more confident lives”. As a community focused not-for-profit organisation with an ever-growing range of psychological and community support services, Better Place Australia is taking a leadership role in the provision of high-quality, effective services for a wide range of community groups across 25 locations in Victoria.
This is an opportunity to join our expanding team of highly experienced and passionate people who want to make Australia a better place.
The appointee to this role will work closely with established members of our Financial Counselling team who support clients to resolve or alleviate financial stress and to improve their ongoing financial capability and inclusion. Upon qualification following completion of the Diploma of Community Services (Financial Counselling), work tasks will include:
- Assessing a client’s financial situation to understand the extent of a person’s financial difficulties and to identify options to address these;
- Conduct interviews with clients both face to face and/or over the phone to provide triage services as required;
- Booking face to face appointments for clients and refer to other services including other Financial Counselling services where applicable;
- Advising clients on how to access a range of entitlements and resources to improve their ability to manage their financial affairs.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Prospective candidates must be enrolled in the Diploma of Community Services (Financial Counselling) and eligible for completion by July 2021. Financial literacy coupled with community education experience is desirable.
Experience in the welfare sector and/or experience working with families would be a distinct advantage. Other essential criteria include the ability to think creatively and develop innovative solutions to issues as they arise, excellent communication skills, well developed interpersonal skills and the ability to rapidly build rapport with clients.
Better Place Australia is serious about being an employer of choice and to back that claim we offer:
- Attractive above-award salary rates
- Salary packaging (which increases your take-home pay)
- Additional annual leave days (between Christmas and New Year)
- Annual leave loading of 17.5% loading
- An 11% superannuation contribution
- 12 weeks paid parental leave
- Up to 20 days family violence leave
- Paid study leave and extensive professional development opportunities
Better Place Australia offers a workplace culture reflective of a vibrant, learning organisation where our people are highly engaged in their work and committed to making a difference. As an equal opportunity employer, we aim to create an inclusive environment where differences including gender, age, culture, disability, sexuality and family and caring responsibilities are valued. We invite you to be part of a not for profit organisation that fosters a diverse workplace.
This role will be based at our Cheltenham head office. Please note that in the current COVID-19 climate, we are currently working remotely from home.
Applications are invited from prospective candidates seeking either full-time or part-time engagement (0.6 – 0.8 FTE) who meet the above criteria.
Our organisation is committed to child safety and satisfactory completion of a Working with Children Check and National Police Check are mandatory for the preferred candidate.
Whilst we appreciate the interest of all prospective candidates, please note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Please make an enquiry if you would like to book an appointment for one of our services. Alternatively, you can live chat with us during business hours.