Better Place Australia has a vision of “An Australia where all people experience positive relationships, truly value each other and live safer, more confident lives”. As a community-focused not-for-profit organisation with an ever-growing range of psychological and community support services,
Better Place Australia is taking a leadership role in the provision of high-quality, effective services for a wide range of community groups across 25 locations in Victoria. This is an opportunity to join our expanding team of highly experienced and passionate people who want to make Australia a better place.
The prevalence of mental illness is higher amongst residents of residential aged care facilities (RACFs) than it is for the general population, however mental health services are not routinely available. Where mental illness is diagnosed in residential aged care residents, the most likely intervention is the prescription of medication despite their known side effects and the risk of drug-disease interactions which are more common in the elderly.
Research evidence suggests that there are a range of non-pharmacological psychosocial interventions that are effective alternatives to the prescription of medication for the treatment of mental illness in frail aged people living in residential care facilities.
The Commonwealth Government has provided funding through North West Melbourne Primary Health Network (NWMPHN) to provide Psychological Services in Residential Aged Care Facilities (RACFs) in the North and Western regions of Melbourne. The position holder will deliver therapeutic interventions for residents of aged care facilities experiencing low-moderate depression and anxiety. Key deliverables will include:
- Provision of treatment by way of individual sessions (1:1 at RACF, via tele-health and phone)
- Reviewing the outcomes of sessions, supports and strategies.
- Referral of clients to alternative support services as and where required;
- Liaising with project team and group facilitator, contributing to group sessions where appropriate;
- Undertaking Capacity Building programs with Residential Aged Care Facility staff members.
Required Qualifications and Experience
To be considered for appointment to this role, prospective candidates must possess the following skills, including:
- Registered as a Psychologist, with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA), or;
- Qualified and Registered as a Credentialed Mental Health Social Worker and eligible for membership of the Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW), or;
- Qualified and registered as a Mental Health Nurse, and;
- Significant experience and interest in working with older adults with mental illness
- A flexible approach, the ability to work in an outreach capacity and an exceptional ability to build rapport.
Better Place Australia is serious about being an employer of choice and to back that claim we offer:
- Attractive above-award salary rates
- Salary packaging (which increases your take-home pay)
- Additional annual leave days (between Christmas and New Year)
- Annual leave loading of 17.5% loading
- An 11% superannuation contribution
- 12 weeks paid parental leave
- Up to 20 days family violence leave
- Paid study leave and extensive professional development opportunities
Better Place Australia offers a workplace culture reflective of a vibrant, learning organisation where our people are highly engaged in their work and committed to making a difference. As an equal opportunity employer, we aim to create an inclusive environment where differences including gender, age, culture, disability, sexuality and family and caring responsibilities are valued. We invite you to be part of a not for profit organisation that fosters a diverse workplace.
This position is available on a full time or part-time basis. As a result of COVID-19, we are currently working from home. As we emerge from the current climate, this role will be based in the North region of Melbourne (out of our Broadmeadows office).
Enquiries from prospective candidates may be directed to Ms Rhonda Withers – Clinical and Program Lead Elder Services via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Whilst we appreciate the interest of all prospective candidates, please note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Our organisation is committed to child safety and satisfactory completion of a Working with Children Check and National Police Check are mandatory for the preferred candidate.
Please make an enquiry if you would like to book an appointment for one of our services. Alternatively, you can live chat with us during business hours.