Better Place Australia has a vision of “An Australia where all people experience positive relationships, truly value each other and live safer, more confident lives”. As a community focused not-for-profit organisation with an ever-growing range of psychological and community support services, Better Place Australia is taking a leadership role in the provision of high-quality, effective services for a wide range of community groups across 25 locations in Victoria. This is an opportunity to join our expanding team of highly experienced and passionate people who want to make Australia a better place.
The prevalence of mental illness is higher amongst residents of residential aged care facilities (RACFs) than it is for the general population, however mental health services are not routinely available. Where mental illness is diagnosed in residential aged care residents, the most likely intervention is the prescription of medication despite their known side effects and the risk of drug-disease interactions which are more common in the elderly. Research evidence suggests that there are a range of non-pharmacological psychosocial interventions that are effective alternatives to the prescription of medication for the treatment of mental illness in frail aged people living in residential care facilities.
The Commonwealth Government has provided funding through the South Eastern Melbourne Primary Health Network (SEMPHN) to provide Psychological Services in RACFs in the Mornington Peninsula region. The position holder will deliver therapeutic interventions for residents of aged care facilities experiencing low-moderate depression and anxiety. Key deliverables will include:
- Provision of treatment by way of individual sessions (1:1 at RACF, via tele-health and phone)
- Reviewing the outcomes of sessions, supports and strategies.
- Referral of clients to alternative support services as and where required;
- Liaising with project team and group facilitator, contributing to group sessions where appropriate;
- Undertaking Capacity Building programs with Residential Aged Care Facility staff members.
Required Professional Qualifications & Experience
- Registered as a Psychologist with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA), or;
- Qualified and Registered as a Credentialed Mental Health Social Worker and eligible for membership of the Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW), or
- Possess an equivalent relevant Mental Health accreditation and registration (ie: AHPRA), and;
- Significant experience and interest in working with older adults with mental illness
- A flexible approach, the ability to work in an outreach capacity and an exceptional ability to build rapport;
- Current Victorian Drivers License and access to own transport;
- Evidence of current influenza vaccination (required for entry into RACFs).
Better Place Australia is serious about being an employer of choice and to back that claim we have:
- Attractive above-award salary rates
- Salary packaging (which increases your take home pay)
- Additional annual leave days (between Christmas and New Year)
- Annual leave loading of 17.5% loading
- An 11% superannuation contribution
- 12 weeks paid parental leave
- Up to 20 days family violence leave
- Paid study leave and extensive professional development opportunities
This position is available on a part time basis (0.8 FTE) and incorporates service delivery on an outreach basis including work from home.
Here at Better Place Australia, we embrace flexible ways of working including work from home. We encourage you to talk to us about what flexibility might look like for you and your individual needs.
Better Place Australia offers a workplace culture reflective of a vibrant, learning organisation where our people are highly engaged in their work and committed to making a difference. As an equal opportunity employer, we aim to create an inclusive environment where differences including gender, age, culture, disability, sexuality and family and caring responsibilities are valued. We invite you to be part of a not-for-profit organisation that fosters a diverse workplace.
Enquiries from prospective candidates may be directed to Ms Rhonda Withers – Clinical and Program Lead Elder Services: Rhonda.email@example.com
Please note that pursuant to the Acting Chief Health Officer’s COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Direction (No 6), Better Place Australia requires employees to be vaccinated with an approved COVID-19 Vaccination and to provide evidence of vaccination by way of uploading a Digital Vaccination Certificate to our HR Information System (ConnX). You will be provided with relevant information including compliance dates during the recruitment process.
Our organisation is committed to child safety and satisfactory completion of a Working with Children Check and National Police Check are mandatory for the preferred candidate.
Whilst we appreciate the interest of all prospective candidates, please note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted. Apply today – we look forward to hearing from you.
Please make an enquiry if you would like to book an appointment for one of our services. Alternatively, you can live chat with us during business hours.