Better Place Australia has a vision of “An Australia where all people experience positive relationships, truly value each other and live safer, more confident lives”. As a community-focused not-for-profit organisation with an ever-growing range of psychological and community support services, Better Place Australia is taking a leadership role in the provision of high-quality, effective services for a wide range of community groups across 23 locations in Victoria.
Child Counsellors provide therapeutic interventions to children from separating families which includes child consultations as part of the Family Dispute Resolution process, individual child counselling, group work facilitation and education and skills training. Specific work tasks include:
- Undertaking risk assessments with children and family to determine level of support and nature of intervention required;
- Provision of counselling to children and adolescents using a range of therapeutic interventions;
- Provision of timely and appropriate referrals for children and their families as required, and;
- Ongoing communication and psycho-education with parents throughout counselling to ensure children continue to be supported
Required Qualifications and Experience
To be considered for appointment to this role, prospective candidates must possess relevant tertiary qualifications (ie: Psychology, Social Work, Counselling) together with demonstrated experience in providing assessment, counselling and support to school aged children and families in the context of their parent’s separation. Demonstrated experience and commitment to working with children from separated families is essential as is knowledge and understanding of child development and a strong working knowledge of relevant theoretical approaches for working with children. Other essential criteria include excellent communication and interpersonal skills; the ability to engage and build rapport with clients; well developed organisation and time management skills and a proven ability to deliver child inclusive practice in a culturally sensitive manner.
Better Place Australia is serious about being an employer of choice, to back that claim we offer:
- Generous above award salary rates
- Salary packaging (which increases your take-home pay)
- Additional annual leave (between Christmas and New Year)
- Annual leave loading of 17.5% loading
- An 11% superannuation contribution
- 12 weeks paid parental leave
- Up to 20 days family violence leave
- Paid study leave and extensive professional development opportunities
This position is available on a full time basis and is based at our Cheltenham office. Evening work (until 8pm) will be required on one evening during the week.
Here at Better Place Australia we embrace flexible ways of working including work from home. We encourage you to talk to us about what flexibility might look like for you and your individual needs.
Better Place Australia offers a workplace culture reflective of a vibrant, learning organisation where our people are highly engaged in their work and committed to making a difference. As an equal opportunity employer, we aim to create an inclusive environment where differences including gender, age, culture, disability, sexuality and family and caring responsibilities are valued. We invite you to be part of a not for profit organisation that fosters a diverse workplace.
Our organisation is committed to child safety and satisfactory completion of a Working with Children Check and National Police Check are mandatory for the preferred candidate.
Whilst we appreciate the interest of all prospective candidates, please note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted. Apply today – we look forward to hearing from you.
Please make an enquiry if you would like to book an appointment for one of our services. Alternatively, you can live chat with us during business hours.